MIKE 21/3 ECO LAB
2D and 3D water quality and ecological modelling
This two-day, hands-on course will teach you the fundamentals of ecological modelling and give you an introduction on how to develop an ecological, process oriented model using either MIKE 21 or MIKE 3 ECO Lab (classic or FM series).
Depending on the level of your experience and specific wishes topics can be added or tailored course offered.
Ecological modelling is used to describe and simulated various process and phenomena of ecosystems. It is usually applied to model water quality aspects, the fate of dissolved substances or biological relations on population or individual level.
ECO Lab is a numerical modelling tool for ecological modelling integrated in both MIKE 21 and MIKE 3, which gives easy access to the equations of an ecological model. MIKE 21 ECO Lab is used for 2D simulations of shallow lakes or coastal
areas with insignificant stratification whereas MIKE 3 ECO Lab 3D is applied to stratified systems in either marine areas or in deep, stratified lakes.
- Fundamentals of ecological modelling
- Introduction to ECO Lab and dialogue overview
- Introduction to existing ECO Lab templates
- Guidelines for ecological model development
- How to set up the ECO Lab model
- Calibration and validation procedures
- Trouble-shooting advice
- Hands-on exercises
- to construct your own basic ecological model descriptions
- to set up and run MIKE 21/3 ECO Lab simulations (classic or FM series)
TARGET GROUP AND PREREQUISITES
Professionals in environmental engineering and management in the public or private sector working with shallow inland lakes or coastal areas.
You should have a background in applied water quality aspects and/or biology. Experience with hydraulic modelling is an advantage but no condition.